This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KILLINGHOLME HIGH LIGHTHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KILLINGHOLME HIGH LIGHTHOUSE

List entry Number: 1103706

Location

KILLINGHOLME HIGH LIGHTHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: South Killingholme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165871

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264

TA 11 NE SOUTH KILLINGHOLME TA 178 182

11/71 Killingholme High Lighthouse

GV II

Lighthouse. Established 1831, rebuilt 1876-7 for Trinity House. Brick, rendered and colourwashed. 6-storey tapered round tower, 30 metres high. Recessed plain door under timber lintel. Two recessed louvred openings to ground floor, two or three 12-pane sashes to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floors with projecting cills and recessed lintels. Moulded cornice supports balcony to top floor with plain iron railings. Top floor has plinth, incised band below cillband, wide east-facing window with vertical glazing bars. Ribbed dome with scalloped eaves, capped with cylindrical ventilator and weathervane. Stack rising from south side has stepped cornice and four cylindrical pots. Plaque on north side inscribed: THIS LIGHT HOUSE WAS ENLARGED AND REBUILT BY THE TRINITY HOUSE OF KINGSTON UPON HULL 1877 JOHN WILSON (WARDENS GEORGE HARRISON ( THE ONE AT S.E. WAS ERECTED IN 1836 WILLM COLLINSON (WARDENS GEORGE NALL ( AND THE ONE AT THE N.E. IN 1851 JOHN SUGDEN (WARDENS HUNTER ESTILL (

Lighthouse, no longer manned, is used in conjunction with the nearby Killingholme South Low Lighthouse to guide shipping in the Humber, and in the C19 was a link in the Hull Telegraph. D. Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975, 104-5.

Listing NGR: TA1783418214

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jackson, D , Lighthouses of England and Wales, (1975), 104-105

National Grid Reference: TA 17834 18214

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103706 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 05:05:40.

End of official listing