OAK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1103761
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
OAK HOUSE, CHARD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OAK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 17:11:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
OAK HOUSE, CHARD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Axminster
National Grid Reference:
SY 29850 98677

Details

SY 29 98 AXMINSTER CHARD STREET 1/20 (north west side) 11.8.50 Oak House GV II*

Built in 1758 by Simon Bunter, an Axminster Lawyer. Fine red brick house with stone dressings. Slate mansard roof with gabled ends. Parapet with putti and urns, modillion cornice and rusticated quoins. 1:3:1 bays. Centre three bays break forward with quoins. Sash windows with thick glazing bars in eaved moulded architraves. Centre first floor Venetian window with Ionic pilasters entablature and arched centre light. Similar central doorway below with round-headed fanlight and entablature continued over side lights with pilasters, and with modern panelled door.

Five flat roofed dormers with sashes. Rendered chimney stacks at gable ends. Three storey, one bay wing set back to left and right, the right hand one has large segmental fanlight to doorway. Rear elevation has range of C18 sash windows.

Interior: good contemporary open-well staircase with open string, three balusters per tread and moulded soffit. C18 carved wooden chimneypiece and moulded plaster ceiling cornices.

Listing NGR: SY2985098677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
87616
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04571/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].