ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103824

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1998

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL, LOCKSWAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 14:08:42.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL, LOCKSWAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 67212 00078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SU60SE LOCKSWAY ROAD, Milton 774-1/4/286 St James' Hospital Chapel 09/12/98

GV II

Hospital chapel. 1879. By George Rake. Knapped flint with stone dressings. Welsh slated roofs. PLAN: 5-bay nave, 1 bay apsidal chancel, south-west porch and west bellcote, north vestry. EXTERIOR: north face: 5 stone 2-light Y tracery windows with leaded lights, flanking offset buttresses. To left (east) is a vestry projecting from chancel with lean-to roof. At centre is a recessed 4-panelled diamond boarded door with overlight set under flat stone shouldered arch, stone sill and rusticated jambs. On left return to vestry is a 2-light window with leaded lights set under flat stone arch with rusticated jambs. East face of chancel with lower roof has within apse 3 narrow lancet windows each set under stone pointed arch. rusticated jambs. East facing gable to nave has stone eaves. Kneelers, offset diagonal buttress at south corners. To right (north) of nave is octagonal stack. South face: four 2-light windows with flanking offset buttresses similar to north face. To left (west) is a projecting porch, recessed boarded with ornamental iron strap hinges, set under recessed stone pointed arch with flanking engaged Corinthian columns; outer arch stone pointed with hoodmould and stone roll moulded jambs. Flanking offset buttresses, facing stone coped gable with kneelers. West face: nave has slightly projecting and stepped centre bay. To left and right a lancet headed window. At centre over projecting bay is a stone base, with on each side paired engaged stone columns, pointed blinded arches with hoodmould surmounting stone bellcote with pointed arched opening, hoodmould and steep pitched facing gable. INTERIOR: nave has a 5-bay hammer beam roof with boarded ceiling. Curved boarded ceiling to chancel. Nave and chancel have stained glass windows. (Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle: Winchester: 1879-).





Listing NGR: SU6610802158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474900

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing