LORD NELSON MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103855

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1999

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Dec-2006

Statutory Address: LORD NELSON MONUMENT, GRAND PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LORD NELSON MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 03:12:47.

Location

Statutory Address: LORD NELSON MONUMENT, GRAND PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 63170 99211

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



774-1/12/395 GRAND PARADE 18-MAR-1999 SOUTHSEA LORD NELSON MONUMENT (Formerly listed as: PEMBROKE GARDENS SOUTHSEA LORD NELSON MONUMENT)

GV II

Monument. Erected 1951. Moved from Pembroke Gardens to its present location from Pembroke Gardens in 2005. By F Brook Hitch, FRBS, to designs by Dr HJ Aldous LRCS, LSA. Bronze statue of Lord Nelson on granite base set on stepped plinth, bronze plaque on 3 sides. The monument is near the place on the beach where Nelson embarked for HMS Victory on 14 September 1805. Main inscription reads "Horatio Viscount Nelson K.B., Duke of Bronte in Sicily, Vice-Admiral of the White. His last hours in England before leaving for the battle of Trafalgar were spent at the George Hotel, High St., Portsmouth which hotel was destroyed with a great part of Portsmouth in a German air raid on this city on January 10th-11th 1941. His remains were brought to Spithead December 4th 1805 on board H.M.S. Victory which ship was badly damaged in the Forefoot by a bomb in a raid on the 10th March 1941." On another plaque is inscribed Nelson's prayer. The monument was presented to the city in 1951 by Dr HJ Aldous. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The monument has special interest as a high-quality piece of post-war public art by a noted sculptor, dedicated to a major figure in British history. It also has group value with a row of listed town houses and the Royal Garrison Church nearby. It was moved to its present location from Pembroke Gardens in 2005.

Listing NGR: SZ6425599150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474996

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 86

End of official listing