This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1103858



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Portsmouth

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474999

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SZ6399 PEMBROKE ROAD 774-1/12/74 (North East side) 25/09/72 No.17 The Royal Naval Club (Formerly Listed as: PEMBROKE ROAD The Royal Naval Club)


2 houses, now Royal Naval club. C18 with major alterations 1871-1875 by Thomas Hellyer. Grey header bricks with red brick dressings and stucco. Roof of Welsh slate; brick stack on left and right. Italianate style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with central 4-storey tower. 7 bays, central tower recessed. Projecting wings stuccoed on ground floor and with rusticated rendered quoins to all storeys. Tower section stuccoed to full height. 6-panelled double door at centre, upper 4 panels glazed, semicircular fixed panel over, set within moulded stuccoed surround having keystone decorated with Royal Naval insignia, rope moulded arris to corners. To each wing on left and right 2 paired sashes, set under segmental stuccoed arches with dividing colonnettes rendered keystones and raised rendered surrounds; single segmental arched sash, between the paired windows. Bracketed sillband. On first floor, bracketed balcony with patterned iron balustrade; to each wing a central French casement set under gauged brick segmental arch with stone imposts and keystone; flanking tripartite canted bay windows having central sashes and narrow side sashes, segmental arched overlights, pilasters dividing lights, rectangular plan cornices and metal tented roofs. Second floor has 2 paired round-headed sashes to each wing, set under gauged brick round arches with stone dividing colonnettes, imposts and keystones; and single round-headed sash between. Bracketed stone sillband. Moulded stone band below bracketed cornice broken back over tower section with a lunette plaque over containing relief of crown and anchor, flanked by Dolphins, ship of the line behind. Central tower section has on first floor bracketed rendered balcony with rounded quoins and central iron grille; French casement set under segmental arch with raised rendered surround and imposts. Shallow bracketed band over. Round-arched sash on second floor. The top stage of the tower has three sash windows on each side, flanking pilasters, arch-volts with blind tympanum; impost and sill mouldings

carried all the way round; console bracketed moulded cornice over with arcaded balustrade to parapet. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: this is the only Royal Naval Club in existence and it was founded in 1867. The tower was used to signal to ships at Spithead. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: London: 1970-: 56; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 47).

Listing NGR: SZ6339399274

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 56
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 47

National Grid Reference: SZ 63385 99276


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 06:09:24.

End of official listing