STATUE OF WILLIAM IV AT EAST END OF CENTRAL WALK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103872
Date first listed:
14-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
MONTPELLIER GARDENS, CHELTENHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF WILLIAM IV AT EAST END OF CENTRAL WALK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:40:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONTPELLIER GARDENS, CHELTENHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cheltenham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 94636 21777

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2015

SO9421NE 630-1/18/529

CHELTENHAM, MONTPELLIER GARDENS, Statue of William IV at east end of Central Walk

14/12/83

GV II

Statue of William IV. 1833. Reputed to be by William M Gardner. Bath stone statue, painted. King shown in Robes of the Order of the Garter, with one hand on altar with crown. Plinth: stucco on brickwork. Inscription records, 'Erected at Imperial Nursery Gardens, the promenade 1833 by Public Subscription to Commemorate the Passing of the Reform Bill. Removed to Present site 1920'. Other, contemporary sources date the erection of the statue to 1831 and the donor as Thomas Henney. A rare statue of this monarch.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Montpellier Gardens were laid out by JB Papworth in 1825-6 for Pearson Thompson.

(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: (1993), 120).



Listing NGR: SO9463621777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475013
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sampson, A, Blake, S , A Cheltenham Companion, (1993), 120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04104/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Preece. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].