143, FORE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103967

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: 143, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 143, FORE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 11:13:24.

Location

Statutory Address: 143, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Exeter (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 91739 92374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORE STREET 1. 1092 (North-west Side) No 143 SX 9192 SE 5/166 29.1.53 II GV 2. Set back behind Edwardian 2 storey shop front is the upper part of a fine 4 storey, 5 window, red brick front, dated on rain water heads 1716 and 1717. Burnt headers, stone quoins, cornice and keystones. Later Georgian sashes. Red brick back elevation is 3 window, original sashes with segmental heads. Coved cornice. Parapet, roof not visible. 2 storey, 3 window plastered wing at right angles also has early C18 sash windows. Doorway to Wheaton's Registered Office (modern building) has enriched plaster hood on brackets, and was probably principal doorway to house. Early Cl9 cast iron printing-press kept in courtyard as museum piece. This house was probably built by Sir Thomas Bury, later occupied by Sir John Duntze (1749). Nos 140 to 144 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9173992374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 89096

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing