THE RETREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103993
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
THE RETREAT, EXETER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RETREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 04:57:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RETREAT, EXETER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 95773 88785

Details

EXETER ROAD 1. 1092 TOPSHAM The Retreat (Formerly listed in the rural district of St Thomas) SX 98 NE 27/803 11.11.52 II 2. Mid C18. Has been a fine house of the Adam period. Built by a "Mr Orme". Later the home of Sir Alexander Hamilton. Now divided into flats, but earlier alterations also. Fine stucco entrance front. 2 storey and basement. Originally 7 windows but has had additional windows inserted. Good central 1 storey floor. Venetian window with shell ornament. Centre of front has pediment with rosette and swag ornament in low relief in tympanum. Ionic porch with iron balustrade, now glazed. River front has had even greater alteration. Originally. it had three Venetian windows to the middle storey. Slate roof, The main rooms have Adam style fireplaces and moulded cornices.

Listing NGR: SX9577388785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
89054
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15326/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].