COWICK BARTON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104011
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
COWICK BARTON, COWICK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COWICK BARTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 19:05:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
COWICK BARTON, COWICK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 90896 91112

Details

COWICK LANE 1. 1092 (North Side) Cowick Barton SX 9091 14/596 29.1.53. II* 2. Stone house with "E" plan, assumed to date from 1540 because of stained glass (now removed) giving the arms of Edward VI as Prince of Wales. Interior has one chimneypiece dated 1657 and one, perhaps earlier, with a biblical subject. Exterior is plastered, with stone mullioned windows and origianal 3 storey porch with Tudor arched entrance. New slate roof. Probably originally the Barton of Cowick Priory, which passed to Lord Russell at the Dissolution. He may have built the present house for his bailiff.

Listing NGR: SX9089691112

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88998
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/10954/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J. Rippon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].