ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104027
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL, CATHEDRAL YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 03:07:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL, CATHEDRAL YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92071 92649

Details

CATHEDRAL YARD 1. 1092 Royal Clarence Hotel SX 9292 NW 3/412 29.1.53. II GV 2. Said to have been built to provide Assembly Rooms for the City by Wm Mackworth Praed, circa 1768. Original 4 storey, 6 window stucco front has been considerably altered, bays added, glazing bars removed etc, in 1827. Large porte-cochere partly hides Tuscan porch. Dentil cornice. Adjoining and now part of the hotel is a 3 storey, 3 window C18 building, formerly the Exeter Bank. Semi-circular 3-light attic window. The remains of a central porch are still visible, but the front has been altered with late C19 iron balconies etc. Slate roofs. Part of Hotel facing Martin's Lane C18. Timber-framed, rendered and painted. 4 storeys, sash windows, mostly modern, Slate roof. Included for group value. All the listed buildings of Cathedral Yard and Nos 1 and 2 Deanery Place form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9207092657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08640/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]toricEngland.org.uk.