DEVON AND EXETER INSTITUTION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104062
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
DEVON AND EXETER INSTITUTION, 7, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEVON AND EXETER INSTITUTION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 23:57:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
DEVON AND EXETER INSTITUTION, 7, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92155 92614

Details

CATHEDRAL CLOSE 1. 1092 No 7 (Devon and Exeter Institution) SX 9292 NW 3/101 20.1.53 II* GV 2. Town house of the Courtenays 1662-1813, when it was sold to D and E Institution. Existing front was gatehouse, and is of Heavitree stone, altered circa 1814 to form 2 storey 4 window front. Some of original openings are filled in with brickwork. Upper part of wall has strip of modern half-timbering and painted sundial. Sash windows with iron grilles to ground floor, and glazing bars. Good doorway under elliptical arch with fanlight, side-lights, and reeded half- engaged columns, panelled double doors. Hipped slate roof with cupola. Back of house is C16 or earlier, and has part of large stone-mullioned window, also internally late CL6 plaster ceiling, frieze and carved chimney-piece. Courtenay arms added 1662. Between this part of the house and the front range two large libraries with top lights and galleries were built in 1814, covering the open courtyard. (Cf. Foulston's Cottonian Library at Plymouth for interior details.) AM. All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9215592614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].