OFFWELL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104089

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: OFFWELL SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFWELL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 15:26:24.

Location

Statutory Address: OFFWELL SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Offwell

National Grid Reference: SY 19521 99636

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL 3/113 Offwell School - 22.2.55 GV II

School. Built in 1840 by the Reverend Edward Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St Pauls. Blocks of squared flint laid to courses with Beerstone detail (the west end wall is plastered and so too might have been the rest originally); stone stack with a Beerstone ashlar narrow octagonal chimneyshaft; slate roof, maybe thatch originally. Plan: small 1-room plan school built up on a terrace above the road and facing south. Front doorway with porch at the right (east) end. A second room across the back in an integral leanto and behind that a secondary cloakroom. The school is single storey. Tudor Gothic style. Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 2-window front of tall Beerstone mullion and transom window with hoodmoulds. The gabled porch at the right end has a 2-centred outer arch with a ribbon plaque above inscribed as follows: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom". The front doorway itself is a plainer 2-centred arch and it contains a plank door. The roof is gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The left gable is surmounted by the chimneyshaft and the right gable is surmounted by a gabled bellcote. The right (east) end contains 2 more mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds, the right one (to the leanto) is smaller. Above the larger left one is a plaque containing a bishops head in a quatrefoil panel and its hoodmould has carved human head label stops. There is another similar carved plaque in the left end. Interior: not inspected. In front of the school the terrace is revetted by a flint rubble wall with plain coping surmounted by C20 railings. The gate posts are Beerstone ashlar; they are square in section with pyramid caps. The school forms a group with other listed buildings in the centre of Offwell, most of them built by Bishop Copleston.

Listing NGR: SY1952199636

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 88783

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing