CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104090.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 01:30:34.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SY 19485 99575
SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL
3/115 Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Parish church. C13 origins and some parts may be that early but most was rebuilt in the C15, much restored by the Reverend Edward Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St Pauls (d. 1849), and refurbished in 1874 according to dated rainwater head. Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone quoins and detail; slate roof. Plan: the nave with narrower and lower chancel is not quite full length; the chapel is now used as a bapistry. C15 west tower. Early C19 south porch and late C19 vestry on south side of the chancel. Exterior: the west tower is 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and semi-octagonal stair turret projecting from the north side. The belfry has single and double lancets with Beerstone grilles. The tower west doorway is a 2- centred arch with moulded surround and directly above is a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Around the church most of the windows were replaced in the C19 and the gable-ends have C19 shaped kneelers, coping and apex crosses. The south side of the nave is 3 bays, the centre one with the doorway and gabled porch with diagonal buttresses. The outer arch is a 2-centred arch in Early English style; moulded surround with caps to the shafts, a band of ballflower decoration and hoodmould with badges carved on the label stops. Above is an old sundial. The porch has a cobbled floor and the south doorway is a plain 2-centred arch. Either side of the porch are square-headed 3-light windows with trefoil-headed lights (there are 3 more on the north side of the aisle). The south side of the chancel has a single rectangular light since most of this side lies behind the C19 gabled vestry which contains a window with Decorated tracery. The east end of the chancel has a large 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and there are similar windows each end of the aisle. Interior: both nave and aisle have ceiled wagon roofs with moulded purlins and ribs. These maybe C15 but the carved bosses at least are C19 replacements. The chancel has a plaster vault of indeterminate date. Tall tower arch with moulded surround. The chancel arch is round (almost horseshoe shaped) headed with chamfered surround. 3-bay arcade with moulded Beerstone piers (Pevsners type A) and carved capitals. A fourth arch between chancel and north chapel has its soffit and sides lined with Beerstone trefoil-headed panels. The walls are plastered and the floor flagged. C19 Beerstone reredos is a blind Gothic arcade. The sedelia to south of the sanctuary and piscina to north are the same style. C19 oak altar rail on Gothic style timber standards. The stalls are C19 but made up from the C18 stalls with fielded panelling. The lectern was made in 1935 but includes some good C17 oak carving including a panel representing the Last Supper. The fine 3-decker pulpit was erected in 1724 and is missing only its sounding board. The carved figures of the Evangelists were added to the panels in 1784. It is said to conceal the stone base of the previous pulpit. The box pews were installed in 1798 but reconstructed in 1853. The tower screen is 2 bays of a good C15 oak chancel screen which came from the Church of St Mary Major, Exeter in 1970. The font is in the former north chapel. It is late C15 - early C16, Beerstone with octagonal bowl carved with quatrefoil panels enriched with 4-leaf motifs, carved foliage around the base and panelled stem. It has a late C17 oak cover with broken ogee profile and surmounted by an eagle with a hook for the former hoisting chain. The reredos here is a fine piece of carved C16 oak panelling; the centre panel is a representation of Jesus carrying the cross and the flanking panels have representations of the Evangelists. The carvings which may be Flemish were brought here by Bishop Copleston. Monuments: the oldest, in the aisle, is in memory of Joana Southcott (d. 1696); the plaque has a bolection frame under a swan-necked pediment and cartouche containing armorial bearings and the apron below is carved foliage. Over the south door a memorial to John Ford (d. 1729) and his wife Mary (d. 1742). The chancel contains a group of C19 marble memorials mostly to members of the Copleston family. Royal arms were painted in 1974 and some painted texts were retouched at the same time. C19 painted commandment boards either side of the south door. The chancel south window is a collection of fragments of ancient glass and there is some C18 stained glass in the tracery of the chapel east window. Some C19 stained glass. Source: Church guide.
Listing NGR: SY1948399578
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing