PAIR OF HAM CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES NORTH-WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104096
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF HAM CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES NORTH-WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF HAM CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES NORTH-WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 03:57:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF HAM CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES NORTH-WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Southleigh
National Grid Reference:
SY 20453 93393

Details

SY 29 SW SOUTHLEIGH SOUTHLEIGH

6/133 Pair of Ham chest tombs - approximately 4 metres north-west of the tower of the Church of St Lawrence GV II

Pair of chest tombs. One is dated 1752 in memory of Richard Ham, the other is dated 1667 in memory of Andrew Ham. Both are Beerstone ashlar. These two chest tombs are set close together and are essentially similar. Both are rectangular in plan on moulded plinths with flat lids, the northern one (Andrew Ham) has a lid with moulded edges. Both are inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case letters. On the south side of the southern chest tomb is a rectangular plaque proud of the main chest and it has an inscription recording the death of Richard Ham in 1752. The north side of the northern tomb has an inscription which records the death of Andrew Ham in 1667. Both have other inscriptions recording the deaths of other members of tne Ham family.

Listing NGR: SY2045393393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88804
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13701/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].