DIRDON CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104124
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
DIRDON CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of DIRDON CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104124.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 13:49:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
DIRDON CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Northleigh
National Grid Reference:
SY1959495855

Details

SY 19 NE 3/98

NORTHLEIGH NORTHLEIGH Dirdon Chest tomb approximately 7 metres south-east of the chancel of the Church of St Giles

GV II Chest tomb. Dated 1830 in memory of Samuel Dirdon. Beerstone ashlar. The chest tomb sits on a moulded plinth and its flat lid has moulded edges. On each corner a vase-shaped baluster pilaster is inset and each side contains a fielded panel with bead-moulded surround. The south side panel is inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and it includes some italics. It records the death of Samuel Dirdon in 1830.

Listing NGR: SY1959495855

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88768
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10990/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].