BRADDICK HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 2.5 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104137
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
BRADDICK HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 2.5 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRADDICK HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 2.5 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 12:56:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRADDICK HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 2.5 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Branscombe
National Grid Reference:
SY 19559 88449

Details

SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE BRANSCOMBE

7/28 Braddick headstone approximately - 2.5 metres south of chancel of Church of St Winifred GV II

Headstone. Dated 1673 in memory of John Braddick. Beerstone ashlar. Upright square-headed slab standing approximately 550 millimetres high. The front is inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case lettering although most is capitals. It records the death of Joseph Braddick in 1673. The charming epitaph points out that as he died suddenly shearing sheep, death treated him as abruptly as he treated his sheep.

Listing NGR: SY1956288433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88699
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12462/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard F Lloyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].