2 ADJACENT BROWN HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104140
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
2 ADJACENT BROWN HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 ADJACENT BROWN HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 19:44:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 ADJACENT BROWN HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Branscombe
National Grid Reference:
SY 19558 88456

Details

SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE BRANSCOMBE

7/33 2 adjacent Brown headstones - approximately 7 metres south of chancel of Church of St Winifred GV II

2 adjacent headstones. Both are C18 in memory of members of the Brown family. Both are Beerstone ashlar upright slabs with concave corners. The northern one stands approximately 700 millimetres high. Its front has a moulded frame and at the top is a carved open book with a quotation on it and this is flanked by a skull and hourglass. The inscription is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of Ann Brown in 1762. The southern one stands approximately 600 millimetres high. Here the front has a round-headed frame with a carved winged cherub's head at the apex flanked by ribbon scrolls. The first word of the inscription is in Gothic lettering, the rest is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and it records the death of Reginius Brown in 1771.

Listing NGR: SY1955888436

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12462/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard F Lloyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].