WELL HOUSE AND WATER CONDUIT 110 METRES SOUTH OF PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104163
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
WELL HOUSE AND WATER CONDUIT 110 METRES SOUTH OF PRIMARY SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELL HOUSE AND WATER CONDUIT 110 METRES SOUTH OF PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 03:08:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELL HOUSE AND WATER CONDUIT 110 METRES SOUTH OF PRIMARY SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodbury
National Grid Reference:
SY 01290 88902

Details

SY 08 NW WOODBURY WOODBURY SALTERTON (east side)

2/142 Well house and water conduit - 110 metres south of primary school - II

Well house and conduit. Circa 1847; built at the expense of Marianne Pidsley. The well house of coursed dressed limestone; square section block; with moulded plinth and cornice, the angles chamfered, surmounted by a tent-shaped cap with finial. To the north above the water outlet is a trefoil-headed pointed arch, with hood mould. Above this a biblical text. The conduit is brick lined. In 1832 Woodbury Salterton was struck by a cholera epidemic; Marianne Pidsley put a series of improvements in hand, including the school (q.v.) and Holy Trinity Church (q.v.). Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981) especially ch.18

Listing NGR: SY0129088902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88659
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brighouse, U W , Woodbury A View from the Beacon, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16561/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Beck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].