NUTWELL LODGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104184
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
NUTWELL LODGE HOTEL, EXMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUTWELL LODGE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:25:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUTWELL LODGE HOTEL, EXMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodbury
National Grid Reference:
SX 98989 85812

Details

SX 98 NE WOODBURY EXMOUTH ROAD (east side)

1/100 Nutwell Lodge Hotel (formerly 11.11.52 listed as Upper Nutwell House)

- II

Public house, formerly a dwelling. C18 remodelling of an earlier building. Blocked stucco; hipped and gabled-end slate roof. Possibly a 3-room, cross passage plan house: a right-hand external end stack may have heated the service end, a rear lateral stack now partially obscured by later additions, the hall; an axial stack towards the left-hand end is a later insertion. Rear wing with end stack; all with brick shafts, the axial stack plastered. The internal arrangements at ground floor level are too altered to confirm the plan type. Upper floor and roof space not inspected. 2 storeys. Front: (facing Exmouth Road): regular 6 window range with dentilled cornice that returns on right-hand elevation. 1st floor and ground floor identically fenestrated with 4 large and 2 small 2-pane horned sash windows. Later, lower 2- storeyed extensions have been added to left, and forward of the building, since it was originally listed in 1952. Rear: late C19 conservatory to rear of wing; single-storey extension, perhaps originally a billiards room, with large 12-pane hornless sash windows, separately roofed. Rear entrance does not look to be in situ; porch with 2 Tuscan columns and pilasters, with entablature.

Listing NGR: SX9898985812

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88607
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11255/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Harper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].