QUEEN ANNE HOUSE AND FRONT WALL TO GARDEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104204
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
QUEEN ANNE HOUSE AND FRONT WALL TO GARDEN, STRAND

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEEN ANNE HOUSE AND FRONT WALL TO GARDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2019 at 00:14:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN ANNE HOUSE AND FRONT WALL TO GARDEN, STRAND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Lympstone
National Grid Reference:
SX 98965 84132

Details

SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE STRAND (north side) Lympstone

5/53 Queen Anne House and front - wall to garden GV II Detached house. Possibly 1702 (datestone re-set in garden wall) refenestrated and refurbished in circa 1840. Brick, in Flemish bond with dressed sandstone plinth; gabled-end slate roof. Central staircase plan main range with rear service wing; the rear wing originally had a lateral newel stair, now dismantled. Single depth, with principal room on either side of central staircase hall. External end stacks, all brick, that to the left with 2 paired set offs, that to the right largely renewed; end stack to wing. 2 storeys. Front: symmetrical 5-window range; 3 full dormers with 6 pane sash windows; moulded gutter box; 12 pane horned sash windows under segmental brick arches to first floor; verandah with moulded cornice supported on 4 Tuscan columns, runs across 2 bow windows with 12:12:12 pane hornless sashes which flank the central entrance, the latter with pilasters, panelled reveals and soffit. Plinth chamfered to front range only. Right-hand elevation with the only surviving window of circa 1702. 2-light casement, with stanchion and fastener plate; otherwise 3 C20 casements to this elevation. Rear: with 12-pane hornless sash window and another to inner face of wing. 2 C20 casement windows in addition. Interior: rear wing, ground floor, with 2 cross ceiling beams, both chamfered, one with composite ovolo and cavetto moulding, the other with step stops to one end only: C17, but look re-used. Circa 1840 joinery including the internal panelled shutters to front bays and the open well staircase. Roof: softwood A-frame trusses, principals morticed and pegged at apex, collars halved, to both main range and rear wing. Brick front garden wall along Strand, contemporary with house, with sandstone plinth, and evidence of central entrance, now blocked up, is included in this listing.

Listing NGR: SX9896584132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88553
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].