THE OLD SMITHY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104213
Date first listed:
20-May-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SMITHY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SMITHY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 11:52:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD SMITHY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Poltimore
National Grid Reference:
SX 96545 96896

Details

SX 99 NE POLTIMORE POLTIMORE

5/159 The Old Smithy -

GV II

House. C17 with C19 additions and remodelling. 2-room C17 cottage with C19 rear block making a double-depth plan. Cob, stone plinth, roughcast, under gabled-end wheat reed thatched roof; the rear block under gabled-end slate roof. 2 storeys. Front: Symmetrical 3-window range; 3-light windows above under eyebrow eaves, each light round-headed, with polygonal leaded panes and original catches. (q.v. Cogswells opposite). Porch on shaped brackets. Early C19 planked door and frame. Ground floor windows, 3-lights, square headed, under Tudor-style hood moulds. Left-hand side elevation: C20 roundel at ground-floor. C19 oriel, 1:3:1 supported on shaped struts, roof slated; each light under round-headed arch; re-leaded in circa 1900, but retaining some early C19 coloured glass. 2 ground floor C20 windows to rear block. Rear elevation: 2 and 3-light metal- framed windows of circa 1920. Interior: 2 chamfered beams to right-hand room, with step-hollow stops. Upper rooms also with cross beams, stopped and chamfered. Roof : principals, morticed and pegged, with original thatch to front with C17 untarred string to bundles.

Listing NGR: SX9654596896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88472
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09657/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Harper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].