HOTEL ON THE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104291

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: HOTEL ON THE PARK, 38, EVESHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOTEL ON THE PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 14:32:08.

Location

Statutory Address: HOTEL ON THE PARK, 38, EVESHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 95254 23057

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9523SW EVESHAM ROAD 630-1/6/312 (West side) 12/03/55 No.38 Hotel on the Park (Formerly Listed as: EVESHAM ROAD No.38 Cleveland House)

GV II

Villa now hotel. c1830 for Theodore Gwinnet, solicitor, with later additions and alterations including extension to rear of 1993. Brick with stucco facades and hipped slate roof; tall left end stuccoed stacks with cornices. Double-depth plan with central hallway. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, 5 first-floor windows; with 2-lower-storey, single bay to right. End window-bays break forward. Stucco detailing includes plinth, Doric pilasters through ground and first floors to end of breakforwards, surmounted by entablature and with pilasters to second floor, cornice and blocking course; ground and first-floor windows have tooled architraves. Central distyle Ionic porch with pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice and blocking course, now with side walls and glazing with margin-lights; within a 6-panel door with sidelights and cambered overlight with batwing and circle glazing bars. 6/6 windows except ground floor has tall 1/1 sashes, all in plain reveals and with sills. Left return has 4-window facade with blind openings and Doric pilasters between bays. Rear has tall round-arched staircase sash, 6/6 with radial glazing to head. INTERIOR: retains original joinery including 6-fielded-panel doors in reeded architraves and with fleurons to corners and fielded-panel shutters to windows. Original plasterwork includes acanthus modillions to hall and embellished cornices and ceiling friezes to ground-floor rooms, that to right with grape motif. Narrow-open-well staircase with carved tread ends has stick balusters and unwreathed handrail. Marble fireplaces. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42. Theodore Gwinnet had had Albion House, North Place (qv) built c1805. Occupies a prominent corner site on one of the main approach roads into Cheltenham. (Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 67).





Listing NGR: SO9524523065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474607

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blake, S, Pittville 1824-1860, (1988), 67

End of official listing