GROSVENOR YOUTH CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104304

Date first listed: 05-May-1972

Statutory Address: GROSVENOR YOUTH CLUB, GROSVENOR STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROSVENOR YOUTH CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 08:07:33.

Location

Statutory Address: GROSVENOR YOUTH CLUB, GROSVENOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 95247 22255

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9522SW GROSVENOR STREET 630-1/14/362 (West side) 05/05/72 Grosvenor Youth Club

GV II

Baptist chapel, now youth club. 1817-19 for the Revd Thomas Snow, with later alterations. Brick with roughcast front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range. Central pedimented breakforward, and swept parapets above recessed wings. Central entrance has double part-glazed doors with overlight, between 2 recesses with casement windows. Band over, then continuous sill band. Windows: round-arched 8/8 sashes with Gothic glazing to heads. Continuous band above and 3 blind panels to centre. INTERIOR: noted as having segmental barrel-vault ceiling with shallow dome lantern. Cast-iron gallery to 3 sides. HISTORICAL NOTE: Built for Revd Snow after his removal from Portland Chapel, North Place (qv) and used for Strict Baptist Services until 1822 when Snow reverted to the Church of England and so handed it over to Anglican trustees. In 1827 it was sold to Congregationalists who re-opened it as 'Highbury Chapel'. (Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 53; RCHME: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 76; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 9-10).





Listing NGR: SO9523822263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474671

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses Gloucestershire, (1986), 76
Blake, S , Cheltenhams Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883, (1979), 9-10
Sampson, A, Blake, S , A Cheltenham Companion, (1993), 53

End of official listing