Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104328.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 04:58:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 64002 00048



SU6300 GUILDHALL WALK, Landport 774-1/8/270 (West side) 30/10/69 Theatre Royal (Formerly Listed as: LANDPORT COMMERCIAL ROAD Theatre Royal)


Theatre, formerly hall. Built as Landport Hall 1854, converted to theatre 1856, substantially rebuilt 1884 by CJ Phipps, reconstructed 1900 by Frank Matcham, restoration work in progress from 1980. Grey and red brick in English bond, stone dressings and iron balcony. Welsh slated hipped roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey facade with attic at centre. 5 bays. Across front is a projecting 2-storey iron and glass shelter with curved ends, arcaded with 5 fretted round-arched openings, flanking paired and enriched iron Corinthian columns, basket arched opening at each end, moulded iron cornice. On first floor are 5 paired windows each with two 2-leaf fixed casements set under round iron arch with centre dividing column and flanking paired pilasters, ornate patterned aprons. On left and right return and to each of the recessed flanking curved wings is a similar round-headed casement with fretted iron balustraded balcony; band cornice and similar balustrade over with splayed rooflight over centre 3 bays. Ground floor facade is faced in black marble and has six 2-leaf entrance doors with fanlight; each leaf has 2 moulded lower panels, 2 oval middle panels and glazed upper panel. Plasterwork above imposts has decorated panels. First floor has rusticated stone quoin strips, moulded band then fluted stone Corinthian pilasters to quoins and flanking the centre 3 bays to second floor. On each side of iron rooflight, high level first floor, is a 2-leaf casement set under flat stone arch with flanking paired pilasters, moulded band, moulded stone head panel and second floor sillband between pilasters. Second floor has five 2-leaf 6-pane casements each with stone architrave and pediment. Entablature and moulded stone eaves cornice. Centre 3 bays have facing stone dentilled pediment with relief carvings within tympanum and at centre is a half round fixed attic casement with moulded stone architrave and keystone. INTERIOR: decoration of 1900 is intact and unaltered with nautical theme having seafaring emblems such as ships prows between the boxes, Dolphin's anchors and mermaids, life belts and shells on the dress circle with military emblems on the

upper circle. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: London: 1070-: 67; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 109, 110, 111; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 460).

Listing NGR: SU6401300094


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 67
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 109-111
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 460


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/04893/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].