FORMER BARRACKS TO REAR OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104363
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
FORMER BARRACKS TO REAR OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER BARRACKS TO REAR OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104363 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 14:08:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER BARRACKS TO REAR OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 63573 99491

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SZ6399 HIGH STREET 774-1/12/484 (South East side) 08/07/98 Former barracks to rear of Portsmouth Grammar School

GV II

Formerly known as: Cambridge Barracks HIGH STREET. Soldiers barracks, now part of school. c1856-58. Red brick with paler brick dressings, ridge stacks and slate hipped roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: 4 pairs of back-to-back soldiers rooms separated by through passages with stairs, cook house at S end and central office section with through arch. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 23-window range. Long plain range with regular rubbed-brick flat arches to 6/6 pane sashes. Central round-arched entrance to vaulted through arch, and doorways in between pairs of former barrack rooms; similar fenestration to rear, SW, elevation, with projecting bays to the through passages opposite the entrances. INTERIOR: fire-proof cook house at the S end has a stair bay against the gable containing a cast-iron stair in curved wall brackets, the lower rooms have heavy cornices and cast-iron T-shaped cross beams. HISTORY: first shown on 1861 OS map, and probably built at the same time as the officer's quarters opposite, 1856-8 for regiments passing through Portsmouth. Of interest for the internal fireproof kitchen, and as part of the former Cambridge barracks with the officer's quarters, now Portsmouth Grammar School, and outbuildings attached to the S (qv). This is part of the only complete barracks that survives in an area just inside the old Portsmouth Lines, which in the C19 contained a large amount of barrack accommodation.





Listing NGR: SZ6353399541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474791
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].