GATES PIERS AND WALL TO ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104369

Date first listed: 05-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: GATES PIERS AND WALL TO ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATES PIERS AND WALL TO ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 19:17:45.

Location

Statutory Address: GATES PIERS AND WALL TO ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 94332 22937

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO9422NW 630-1/8/417 05/05/72

CHELTENHAM HIGH STREET(South side)Gates, piers and wall to St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (Formerly Listed as:HIGH STREET(South side)Entrance gates to drive of St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (Now Churchill Gardens)

GII Also known as:Entrance gates and walls of Winston Churchill Memorial Garden HIGH STREET.Gates,gate piers,wall,end piers and wall to drive.C1831.Pinkish-brown brick walls ashlar coping and stuccoed piers;ornamental iron gates by Thomas Letheren (replaced those by RE Marshall of Cheltenham).Gates have bars and scroll-headed dog-bars;central upper panel of scroll-motif and surmounting floral scroll,between ornamental iron piers.Coped walls adjoining are approx one and a half metres long and two metres high extend to tall piers,square on plan with moulded capping. Coped walls to drive are ramped down from piers and extend for approx fourty-five metres and are two metres high.HISTORICAL NOTE: The New Burying Ground was acquired in 1830 owing to over-crowding in the churchyard of St Mary's Church,Church Street (qv). Letheren's gates were originally at the entrance to Cypher's Nursery Gardens on Queen's Road and replaced those by Marshall after WWII.A significant streetscape feature,forming an integral part of the setting of St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (qv).(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide:Cheltenham: 1850-1969:92;Chatwin A:Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork:1975-:78).

Listing NGR: SO9433222937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474797

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chatwin, A, Cheltenhams Ornamental Ironwork, (1975-1984), 78
Rowe, G, Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850-196992

End of official listing