BELGRAVE HOUSE WITH ATACHED RAILINGS AND PIER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104373
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
BELGRAVE HOUSE WITH ATACHED RAILINGS AND PIER, IMPERIAL SQAURE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELGRAVE HOUSE WITH ATACHED RAILINGS AND PIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:27:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELGRAVE HOUSE WITH ATACHED RAILINGS AND PIER, IMPERIAL SQAURE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cheltenham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 94728 22152

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9422SE IMPERIAL SQUARE 630-1/13/420 (North side) 12/03/55 Belgrave House with attached railings and pier

GV II

Boarding house, now restaurant with attached railings and pier. c1820-34. Stucco over brick with concealed roof with iron railings and window box; renewed ashlar pier. PLAN: central hallway with curved rooms to right; irregular entrance facade. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, on basement, 2 first-floor windows, with one-and-a-half storey outshut added to right. Stucco detailing includes paired Ionic pilasters to right end; first-floor band; continuous crowning architrave with blocking course, raised to centre as feature with 2 stacks. Entrance: flight of horseshoe steps to off-centre left entrance in tetrastyle Ionic porch with entablature and solid balcony over; double 6-panel doors, overlight has margin glazing with coloured glass; left return of porch has 4/4 sash. First floor has 8/8 sash above porch and 6/6 sash to right. Entrance to basement to left of porch. Right return has full-height bow with central breakforward. Ground floor has tripartite 6/6 between 2/2 sash; 6/6 first-floor sash; 8/8 basement sash; all curved on section. INTERIOR: retains many original features including plasterwork and joinery: ground floor has deep acanthus frieze with scroll motif to ceiling and central rose; egg-and-dart cornices; dogleg staircase with rod and bobbin balusters and wreathed handrail with embellished tread ends, to first floor the staircase has run-out handrail with lion's paw to foot; 4-panel doors; hallway has Coalbrookdale tile floor. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spearhead railings abut at right with gate to forecourt with renewed rusticated pier with pineapple finial to return. Further spearhead railings to sides of steps and panelled balustrade with lozenge scrolls. Ground-floor window box to bow has scrolls. HISTORICAL NOTE: villa shown on Merrett's Map of 1834, indicating that this was originally a single build with Nos 108-118 Promenade (qv) with which it forms a good group. Rowe in his Guide to Cheltenham (written in 1845 but published in 1850) refers to this building as `Mesdames Haydon and Shaw's Boarding House', noting, `the internal accommodations are on the best scale'. (Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-; Rowe G:



Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 19 (ILLUS)).



Listing NGR: SO9472922147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474801
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Merrett, H S , Plan of the Town of Cheltenham, (1834)
Rowe, G, Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850-196919

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15792/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Ann Vint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].