TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104376

Date first listed: 05-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1999

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, IMPERIAL SQUARE, CHELTENHAM, GL50 1QA

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:38:43.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, IMPERIAL SQUARE, CHELTENHAM, GL50 1QA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 94745 22065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO9422SE 630-1/13/423

CHELTENHAM IMPERIAL SQUARE (South side) Town Hall

05/05/72

GV II Town Hall. 1901-1903 (on rainwaterheads). Architect FW Waller of Gloucester; builders: Collins and Godfrey. Ashlar with slate roof.

Eclectic Classical style. Horizontal rustication three-bay frontage with projecting porte-cochere with three arches to front, pilaster butresses with inverse scrolls above, frieze, cornice and balustrade; and with curving approach ramps with balustrade and end octagonal piers with lamp standards. Above is a three-bay pedimented front with engaged Corinthian columns and wide end pilasters with horizontal rustication, with modillion cornice. Mullion and transom windows with multi-pane casements, central windows have lunettes over with glazed oculi. Cartouche and oculus in pediment. Cupola on roof. The ballroom has five-bay arcades with Corinthian columns. Left return has verandah.

INTERIOR: retains many original features. These include entrance hall with domed ceiling, then to right a stairhall with open-well staircase with iron balustrade panels of lyre ornament; lightwell. Central aisled hall has five-bays with engaged marble Corinthian columns and round-arched openings, foliate decoration in spandrels, balconies at first floor forming boxes, with round-arched openings above with keystones; stage has segmental arch over, and similar to opposite end; large plaster cast statues of Edward VII and George V, by Boultons of Cheltenham in niches to aisles. To left an octagonal hall has marble and tile octagonal well with Doulton ware urn; mosaic floor; lyre motif to balustrade above.

HISTORICAL NOTE: plaque to base of Porte-cochere records: 'The erection of this building was decided upon in the year 1901, the third successive year of the mayoralty of Alderman George Warren. And this memorial stone was laid on the 1st October 1902, by Alderman Col Rogers VD JP Mayor of this borough, in the fourth yr of his mayoralty, to commemorate the coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra. Architect FW Waller FRIBA. Contractors Collins and Godfrey. ET Bridges town clerk.'

Although the plan and overall design are conservative for the date, this is a prominent sited and notable example of an Edwardian local architect.







Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474804

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sampson, A, Blake, S , A Cheltenham Companion, (1993), 134
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 132

End of official listing