KINGS COURT AND ATTACHED GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104380

Date first listed: 05-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: KINGS COURT AND ATTACHED GATES, KING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGS COURT AND ATTACHED GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:00:23.

Location

Statutory Address: KINGS COURT AND ATTACHED GATES, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 94547 22847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9422NE KING STREET 630-1/9/427 (West side) 05/05/72 Kings Court and attached gates (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Former Ebenezer Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist))

II

Methodist chapel, now house and attached gates. Dated 1812 to tablet below pediment. By Charles Williams. Cost ยป2,424. Stucco over brick with ashlar plinth. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays. Narrow pedimented centre bay between wide wings with swept parapet. Windows: round-arched 8/8 sashes with radial glazing to heads in round-arched recesses. Bands over ground and first floors. Central entrance a part-glazed door with radial bar fanlight under replaced Doric portico. 2 low-storey, single bay range to left Right return has 2 levels of similar sashes in recessed with tooled architraves. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: double gates with bars and dogbars, urn finials to stanchions. One of the earliest chapels in Cheltenham, the facade is typical of many Late Georgian middle-sized urban chapels. (RCHME: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 77; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 8-9).





Listing NGR: SO9454722845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474808

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses Gloucestershire, (1986), 77
Blake, S , Cheltenhams Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883, (1979), 8-9

End of official listing