REMAINS OF PIER WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104452

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF PIER WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF PIER WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:46:17.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF PIER WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Hartland

National Grid Reference: SS 22316 24804

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLAND HARTLAND QUAY SS 22 SW

3/178 Remains of Pier Wall -

GV II

Pier wall. Originally built in late C16 by William Abbott inheritor of Hartland Abbey and its estate, what now survives however is likely to be the work of one of several subsequent rebuildings or repairs throughout the C17, C18 and C19 until 2 severe storms in 1887 and 1896 effected the 2 stage destruction of the pier. Large grounders with stone rubble blocks above. Hartland Quay was probably at its most prosperous during the C18 and early C19 - in 1841 after the damage to its pier-head during gales its owner Lewis William Buck was confident enough of the quay's future to raise £1200 for its repair. However in the 2nd half of the C19 the fortunes of the quay declined, augmented by the arrival of the railway in Bideford in 1855 and the climate of agricultural depression. When therefore further considerable damage was suffered in 1887 Sir George Stuckley refused to rebuild, merely re-facing the stump of the pier and the remainder was swept away in 1896. Already business in the Quay had ceased, with the last ship, the Rosamund Jane, departing in 1893. Source: Hartland Quay - The Story of a Vanished Port: M. Nix and M. R. Myers

Listing NGR: SS2231624804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91244

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rix, , Meyers, , Hartland Quay The Story of a Vanished Port

End of official listing