BARN AND SHIPPON AT HIGHFORD FARM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104476
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1989
Statutory Address:
BARN AND SHIPPON AT HIGHFORD FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND SHIPPON AT HIGHFORD FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 01:37:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN AND SHIPPON AT HIGHFORD FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Hartland
National Grid Reference:
SS 29716 23944

Details

HARTLAND SS 22 SE

4/135 Barn and shippon at High ford Farm

GV II

Barn and shippon with granary. Dated 1884 built by James Berriman. Stone rubble walls with buttresses and dressings of red and yellow brick. Gable-ended slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Plan: long rectangular plan. Shippon on ground floor with granary and store above at either end and barn and machine room at centre, steam engine housed in wing behind right-hand end. Exterior: 2 storeys. 7-bay front divided by brick buttresses. Bays 1, 3, and 5 5 have round-arched window openings now reduced in height. On 1st floor bays 4 and 6 have doorways, the right-hand one reached by a large flight of stone steps. Below the central doorway is a wide inserted C20 opening. Circular datestone of 1884 below eaves towards left-hand end. Against left-hand gable is another large stone staircase to lst floor doorway with a small room below used as a tool-house which arched doorway at front. Interior not inspected. This building forms part of a planned farm of the 1880's - 1890's which was an ambitious scheme to upgrade buildings and land by the owner Mr. Berriman. The farm is notable for its decorative designs as well as carefully planned layout. Source: Strong's Industries of North Devon - David and Charles Reprints.

Listing NGR: SS2971623944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Strongs Industries of North Devon

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12832/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brett Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].