This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLOVELLY CROSS FILLING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOVELLY CROSS FILLING STATION

List entry Number: 1104502

Location

CLOVELLY CROSS FILLING STATION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clovelly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLOVELLY CLOVELLY CROSS SS 32 SW

5/97 Clovelly Cross Filling Station

GV II

Petrol filling station and station attendants house. 1930 by architects Orphoot and Whiting of Bideford for Christine Hamlyn. Brick walls, all roughcast and whitewashed, hipped and gabled slate roofs. Plan: in 2 halves; to right the petrol filling area with a covered filling area (a sort of port-clochere), flanking service rooms and shop at rear; to left the station-attendants house; all in a loose Italianate style; "a model of its kind". Exterior: covered filling area with a hipped roof with a bellcast, on front 2 narrow semi-circular headed archways which flank abroad central square-headed opening, emphasised imposts, underneath these arches stood the original petrol pumps, now replaced by those of the late C20; broad square-head opening on each return through which vehicles enter; along the rear the shop and cash-register area, this with a large replaced wood shop-front, flanking service rooms, hipped roofs, to left with a plank door (oil stove), to right lavatories; attached to the right the attendants house; single storey and attic, 2 coped verges to gables with rendered stacks at their apexes, small gabled central dormer with a 2-light 12-pane metal casement; 2 window openings on the ground floor, altered C20 3-light casements, flanking a central door opening in a projecting porch with incurving side walls, inserted altered late C20 outer door opening with small original corbels at eaves level. Short section of wall to each side of the house, ramped down to end piers with ball caps, a semi-circular head throughway to right, to left an inserted 2-light semi-circular head casement; leanto at rear; this formerly thought to be an ornamental verandah. Interior: not seen. Source: Western Morning News and Mercury, Nov.22, 1930.

Listing NGR: SS3131823316

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Western Morning News and Mercury' in 22 November, (1930)

National Grid Reference: SS 31318 23316

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 03:58:51.

End of official listing