CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104503
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 10:01:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Sheepwash
National Grid Reference:
SS 48696 06328

Details

SHEEPWASH EAST STREET, Sheepwash SS 40 NE 7/91 Church of St Lawrence - 4.10.60 GV II* Parish church. Rebuilt 1880 - 1 and 1889 by Jb F. Gould and Webb of Barnstaple. Coursed square slate stone walls. Gable-ended slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stone coping to gables. Ashlar chimney stack to vestry. Plan: nave, chancel, south porch and west tower with vestry at east end of nave. Early English style. The old church was completely rebuilt in 1880 - 1 with a tower added in 1889. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated tower with crocketted pinnacles. No west doorway, plate tracery style belfry lights and trefoil-headed lancet on west side with carved headstops. Nave has windows of similar style to belfry openings. Chancel has pointed lancets, its east window is of 3 stepped lights with trefoiled and cinquefoiled heads and a recessed panel below which has a carved cross in high relief. Vestry projects from east end of nave with small gablet and shoulderd head doorway facing west. South porch has tall stone coped gable and low eaves, chamfered 4-centred arch with moulded imposts. Interior: south doorway has a 2-centred arch with roll moulding. The original decorative scheme survives complete and is in rich contrast to the church's fairly simple exterior. The effect is achieved by colourful stencil work covering the roof timbers to nave and chancel which are arch-braced collar beam and hammer beam roofs respectively the latter with carved angels. The decorative effect is enhanced by coloured floor tiles which are more ornate to the chancel. The chancel has a sedilia and piscina in its south wall. Late C19 timber tower screen. Good C12 cushion font whicn has foliage decoration carved only on one side and has a modern shaft. Kelly's Directory: 1906.

Listing NGR: SS4869606328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91066
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13303/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Patricia Mary Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].