Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104609.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 19:37:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 62863 13626


ASHREIGNEY SS 61 SW 6/18 Church of St James 4.10.60 II* Parish church. Mainly C15 probably incorporating some earlier fabric, restored in 1889-90. Rubble walls partly rendered. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, north transept with tower above it. The church evidently has Norman origins judging from its font although the building shows no evidence of Norman fabric. The position of the tower over the north transept is unusual and probably indicates pre-Perpendicular building although most of the detail is Perpendicular and the south aisle was added in this period. A very comprehensive restoration was effected in 1889-90 with much of the window tracery renewed, the arcade restored, the chancel extended and a vestry and organ chamber built on the north side. The roofs were also restored. Exterior: 3 stage tower set above north transept is castellated with obelisk finials and set back buttresses. 2 centre arched north doorway of slate stone. Restored 2- light window above with single light over that and simple slit for belfry. 3-light Perpendicular window to west of tower has granite mullions and Beerstone tracery and jambs. Vestry in angle with tower and chancel. Chancel has restored 2-light Decorated style window on north side and 4-light restored east window. 2 end buttresses to chancel. South aisle has granite Perpendicular window at its east end. On its south side are two 3-light Perpendicular windows with C19 buttress inbetween and segmental arched moulded priest's doorway. Similar Perpendicular window to west of south porch and partially restored one at west end of aisle. The west window to the nave has been totally restored. The south porch is probably a completely C19 rebuild and is a gabled single storey structure with 2-centred doorway and a cusped light on either side wall. Interior: porch has rebuilt wagon roof retaining the old crenellated wall plate. Richly moulded C15 2-centre arched south doorway with worn carved figures as headstops and a similar stone figure set in the wall above. 4-bay arcade, considerably restored with moulded piers and 4-centred arches. Rebuilt chancel arch and plastered tower arch. Walls have C20 plaster. Old wagon roof over nave and south aisle, partly restored with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Over the south aisle and chapel under every 3rd rib is a carved angel corbel with armorial shields. Late Norman or Early English square font cut away at the sides and resting on octagonal base. C20 plaster to internal walls. Royal court of arms of Queen Anne painted on wooden board above south doorway and dated 1713.

Listing NGR: SS6286313626


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16869/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].