Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104629.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 20:38:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 57003 12012


DOLTON CHURCH STREET, Dolton SS 5612 + 5712 13 + 14/64 Church of St Edmund 4.10.60 GV II* Parish church. C13 with early C16 additions restored and apparently partially rebuilt in 1888. Coursed rubble walls, rendered to top stage of tower. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The evidence of a C13 date is in the 2 lancets to the chancel and the early form of the arcades although they may have been partially rebuilt. Tower added in circa early C16 and porch probably at the same time but rebuilt in C19. Kelly's Directory records that the greater part of the church was rebuilt during the restoration of 1888 but it is difficult to discern the extent of this from its fabric. Exterior: 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttreses, crenellations and chamfered plinth. Granite west doorway has Tudor arch, roll moulded, with recessed spandrels and square hoodmould. Rebuilt 2-light trefoil-headed window above it. Square slits to stair turret on north side of tower. West end of each aisle has C19 Decorated style windows. North aisle has small Tudor headed doorway towards west end and 2 3- light Decorated style windows with a similar 2-light one at the east end. North side of chancel has 2 probably C13 lancets. East window is a large C19 copy of a C14 window. 3-light Perpendicular style window at east end of south aisle. On its south side it has 2 similar Decorated style C19 windows to the north aisle. Small Tudor-headed priest's door. Rebuilt south porch has pointed arch and small lancet on either side wall. Interior: porch has C19 arch-braced collar beam roof. Possibly original pointed arch chamfered sandstone south doorway to Church. Both arcades have very wide pointed arches which are chamfered resting on massive chamfered piers with stopped capitals. Pointed and chamfered tower arch. Old wagon roofs to nave and aisles with chamfered ribs and carved bosses. Carved wall-plate to chancel and south aisle. Chancel roof renewed in 1862. Some old bench ends survive in the south aisle of Renaissance style with the initials I. S. and date 1581 commemorating John Stafford. In the east window some old glass has been preserved also with the Stafford arms. On the north chancel wall is a memorial to Barbara Lister dated 1696 consisting of a marble plaque with elaborately carved decoration around it. The font is particularly interesting because it consists of 2 intricately carved Saxon stones, the original purpose of which is unclear although it is suggested they may have been formed a cross. Sources: Kelly's Directory 1906; Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Torrington

Listing NGR: SS5700312012


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05707/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].