Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104639.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 19:52:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 42724 99431


HALWILL HALWILL SX 49 NW 4/73 Church of St Peter and St James 14.2.58 GV II* Parish church. C14 or earlier west tower and north nave wall, the rest entirely rebuilt 1870-9, Samuel Hooper of Hatherleigh being the architect in 1878. North wall of the nave stone rubble, tower stone rubble brought to course, the rest squared on stone rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south transepts, north east vestry, south porch. The C19 rebuilding is in the Decorated style, the gables with chamfered stopped bargeboards with kneelers and the ends of the purlins exposed. The east wall has angle butttresses with coped set-offs. A chamfered string rises under the sill of the 3- light Geometric east window with hoodmould and carved foliage label stops. The south wall of the chancel has 2 trefoil-headed 1-light windows with chamfered architraves. The north and south transepts have 3-light windows with intersecting tracery with hoodmoulds and carved foliage label stops, the south transept has a 1-light east window similar to those in the chancel. The north side of the nave has a central 3- light intersecting traceried window with a hoodmould with reused medieval carved head label stops flanked by two 2-light C19 Decorated uncusped windows with Y tracery. There is an angle buttress with coped set-offs at the west end of the north and south sides. The south porch has a steeply-pitched gabled roof and a chamfered stopped doorway below a shield carved with "1870". The porch is flanked by 2-light Geometric Decorated windows with hoodmoulds and carved foliage label stops. The north east vestry has an asymmetrical east gable, a chamfered stopped east doorway and a 2-light square-headed stone mullioned north window. The unbuttressed battlemented 2-stage west tower has a projecting rectangular north east stair turret with slit windows, the east wall of the turret is flush with east wall of the tower. The turret has a sloping slate roof. The tower pinnacles have an unusual convex inner profile and terminate in crocketted finials. The chamfered west door is probably C19 below a 2- light square-headed cusped C19 window with a hoodmould and label stops. 2-light chamfered belfry openings to all 4 faces of the tower, the south face has a small cupsed 1-light window at bellringers' stage. Interior The porch has a narrow chamfered 2-centred doorway, slate-topped benches and the remains of a reused medieval carved wallplate. The interior of the church has plastered walls. C19 arched brace roofs throughout, the nave roof has a moulded wallplate and the braces spring from moulded timber corbels. The double-chamfered crossing arch has an inner order carried on moulded corbels; the chancel arch is double-chamfered, the inner hollow-chamfered order springs from moulded capitals on short shafts supported on foliage corbels. The braces of the transept roofs spring from moulded corbels above timber shafts carried on moulded stone corbels. The 2-bay chancel roof has a brattished vine-carved wallplate. The unmoulded tower arch springs from chamfered imposts. Timber crested reredos of 5 blind arches with paintings of Christ flanked by saints and angels. Trefoil-headed piscina on south wall with a hoodmould, carved foliage corbels and diaper tiling. An aumbry on the north wall has a hoodmould, label stops and fleur de lis cusping with a billet moulding on the shelf. Moulded timber altar rail with metal barley sugar standards and ornamental pierced spandrels. Set of contemporary tiling to chancel and spandrels. Set of contemporary tiling to chancel crossing. Choir stalls in the south transept have fleur de lis poppyheads, others are rectangular with blind traceried carving. Organ case in the north transept is probably contemporary with the restoration. Simple stepped nave bench ends with moulded rails. 5-sided 1910 Jacobean style drum pulpit on a stem with a moulded base decorated with lively grotesques. The drum consists of standards decorated with strapwork between panels of symbolic carving and foliage under round-headed arches. Plain octagonal granite font, possibly C14 (Creswell) with a late C19 domed font cover with crocketted brackets pierced with trefoils and a pinnacle. Late C19 timber lectern. Chamfered arched blocked doorway to the tower stair turret on the west wall. Beatrix Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches (1922). Typescript in West Country Studies Library. Devon C19 Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX4272499431


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches, (1922)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12631/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].