HAYES COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104647
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
HAYES COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAYES COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:23:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAYES COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashreigney
National Grid Reference:
SS 61764 13329

Details

ASHREIGNEY SS 61 SW 6/6 Hayes Cottage II Cottage. Circa mid C17, probably altered in early C18 and extended in late C20. Plastered cob walls. Gabled ended thatch roof. 2 brick stacks, one at left gable end and one axial stack which is late C20. Plan: originally 2-room plan, entry into larger room to left heated by end stack, with a small unheated service room to its right. The 1708 datestone over the front door may refer to a modernisation. In the late C20 the house was extended at the right-hand end, in a similar style and another stack added. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of C20 1, 2 and 3-light casements. C19 plank door to left of centre with inscribed stone above date 1708. The C20 extension at the right-hand end is almost indistinguishable and has a glazed porch at the front. Interior: in the original part of the house the right-hand room has a chamfered axial beam which rests at the left-hand end on a heavy granite post with chamfered edges. Left-hand room has chamfered and hollow step-stopped ceiling beam. Open fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel. Roof trusses are insubstantial straight principals with lapped and pegged collars.

Listing NGR: SS6176413329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
90796
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10315/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].