MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104742
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1951
Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, SOUTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 03:32:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, SOUTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Torrington
National Grid Reference:
SS 49570 19087

Details

1. SOUTH STREET 1735 (South Side) Market House SS 4919 1/73 19.3.51.

II* GV

2. Dated 1842, 2 storey, stucco front with pediment. Lower storey rusticated openings, that in the centre having ornamental east-iron gates. Upper storey has Ionic pilasters and 3 round-head sash windows with glazing bars. Circular panel in tympanum. Above is bell-cote with 4 Tuscan columns supporting small dome. Behind this building, a central cobbled lane is flanked by market stalls (Pannier Market). Most of these have been re-fronted, but some are open and east-iron Doric supports remain. Stucco gateway at south end has date 1842. The front of the building faces the end of High Street, and so can be seen to the best advantage.

All the listed buildings in South Street form a group.

Listing NGR: SS4957019087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
90517
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing