CHRIST CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD WALL TO THE NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104798

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD WALL TO THE NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD WALL TO THE NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 12:01:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD WALL TO THE NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Brentor

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 48232 81398

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 SE BRENTOR NORTH BRENTOR

7/44 Christ Church and churchyard wall - to the north

GV II

Chapel of Ease to the church of St Michael, Brentor. 1856 by Richard Gosling of Torquay, financed largely by Mrs Isabella Holwell, Admiral Octavius Vernon and Mrs Danby. Roughly dressed stone with granite dressings and slate roof. Small Early English style chapel with shallow chancel, nave, west tower, north west porch and south east vestry, 2-bay chancel has moulded coped gable with granite kneelers and triple lancet east window below hoodmould with moulded corbels. Clasping buttresses to east and west ends of nave, north and south sides have buttresses with quoins and set-offs between moulded granite single lancet windows. Lancets recessed, with splayed sills, moulded granite string below windows. South east 5-sided vestry has deep pyramidal roof. North west porch has moulded coped gable with kneelers and moulded arched granite outer door, similar inner door. 3-stage battlemented west tower has semi-circular south stair turret with small rectangular chamfered stair windows. Tower has clasping buttresses with set-offs, 2 moulded strings at base, granite band below parapet and octagonal corner pinnacles with finials. North, south and west sides have chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds at bellringers' stage, similar lancets with slate louvres at belfry stage. North side has similar lancet at first stage. Moulded arched west doorway with hoodmould. Interior Moulded granite chancel and tower arches without capitals. 5-bay moulded arch brace roof to nave with heavily moulded purlins and wall plate, principals spring from moulded granite corbels. Chancel roof collar rafter. Narrow chamfered stopped doorway into vestry. Nave windows have moulded granite inner arches, east window has engaged shafts with bell capitals. Set of contemporary glass by Alfred Beer of Exeter: pictorial in the east window and the window opposite the north door commemorating Isabella Holwell. Window above pulpit has text on scroll, other windows quarries with borders. Granite font probably of 1856 has bowl decorated with bold trefoils on stem of clustered shafts. Font cover and other fittings 1930s, when the plaster was removed from the walls. Stone rubble wall of 1856 surrounding churchyard to the south included for group value. Wall has granite capping and curves towards the north porch with granite gate piers with gabled caps. The church cost £1,003 to build. Its unarchaeological gothic style is unusual in the Diocese of Exeter in the late 1850s.

Listing NGR: SX4823281398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92290

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing