CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104799
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104799.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 14:07:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Brentor
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 48262 81415

Details

SX 48 SE BRENTOR NORTH BRENTOR

7/45 Church Hall -

GV II

National school in use as church hall. 1832, extended to rear circa late C19. Stone rubble with stone dressings and asbestos slate roof hipped at ends. Re-used C17 chimney cap on chimney of rear addition. Rectangular single-storey building with modest Tudor style details. 3-bay symmetrical front with large central gabled porch with stone plaque in gable inscribed "Parochial school erected by the National School Society and W. Rundel esq., of Bellgrove, 1832". Deep eaves. Moulded Tudor arched doorway with 2-leaf arched door with strap hinges. To left and right a 2-light Tudor arched window, 4-panes per light, in chamfered stone architrave. The north end has a 3-light gabled Tudor arched window with intersecting glazing bars in the head. A similar window in the south end has been converted into a door. Interior. Individed 5-bay schoolroom with contemporary scissor brace roof trusses. Simple plank dado. Brentor school closed in 1955. Roger R. Sellman, Devon Village Schools (1967).

Listing NGR: SX4826281415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92291
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sellman, R R , Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04923/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].