CORYTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104805

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CORYTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORYTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:58:45.

Location

Statutory Address: CORYTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Coryton

National Grid Reference: SX 45524 83559

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 SE CORYTON CORYTON

7/59 Coryton House - GV II

House, formerly rectory. 1836 built for Richard Newman and partly financed by Thomas Newman of Manhead. Dressed stone brought to course with ashlar quoins and dressings; slate roofs, gabled at ends; tall rendered paired shafts in stone stacks. A "handsome residence in the Elizabethan style" (White, 1890). Irregular plan under steeply pitched 2-span roof, the rear (east) span projecting to the south. Circa 1940s single storey addition to the north side and porch added to the west front. 2 storeys and attic. 3-bay west front symmetrical and Georgian in character. Tudor in detail. Slightly advanced central gable bay 1836 moulded stone doorway intact behind 1940s porch with parapet. 3-light stone mullioned window above doorway has leaded panes, 1-light casement in stone architrave in gable, which is coped with kneelers. To left and right of the gabled bay large projecting stone stacks with set offs, the chimneys crowned by paired diagonally set shafts with moulded cornices. Some ornamental chimney pots survive. The porch and the 1940s addition at the left also have stone mullioned windows with leaded panes in keeping with the 1836 stone mullioned windows throughout. At the rear 3 shafts at first floor level are corbelled out. Interior: 1836 fittings intact throughout : stair, doors, cornices and fireplaces, including fireplace with Gothic detail in the spandrels. 1 fireplace to ground floor room front left replaced. The Newman family (q.v. parish church) purchased the Coryton estate in 1809 and most of the parish is still in their possession.

Listing NGR: SX4552483559

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92305

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1890)

End of official listing