- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104807 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 06:27:19.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 37428 79908
SW 37 NE DUNTERTON
9/66 Wrixhill - II
Farmhouse. Probably with early C17 origins and lower end completely rebuilt. Remodelled in circa C18. Painted stone rubble and cob. Steeply pitched asbestos slate roof with gabled ends. Thatched until early 1980s. Rendered stacks on right- hand gable end and axial stack to right of cross passage of lower entrance. Plan; probably originally 3 rooms with cross passage. Original cross passage now lower entrance. Lower end completely rebuilt circa early C19. Now barn. Upper end remodelled. Main range now comprises 3 rooms with cross passage between former hall and inner room. Dairy in outshut to rear. 2 storeys, regular 4-window front. Ground floor with wide plank door with glazed light to lower entrance. To right, 2 C19 2-light casement with glazing bars flank entrance with C20 gabled glazed porch. Above, four 2-light casements. 3 on right, C19 with glazing bars. C20 window on left. To rear, evidence of at least 2 raisings of eaves. Outshut beneath lean-to roof. Barn adjoining on left-hand gable end, stone rubble with corrugated asbestos roof. 2 storeys. Shippon door on left beneath cambered lintel. Plank door on right with partly boarded 2-light casement with glazing bars above. To rear, stone rubble steps to loft. Interior of farmhouse. Left-hand room, probably once cross passage, with heavy chamfered ceiling beams. Much C18 and C19 joinery including plank door with cover moulds and strap hinges at top of stairs. Roof circa C18 with lapped and pegged collars. Name probably of Celtic origins. First known documentary reference in 1219. Appears in Survey of Lord Dynham's lands in 1566. (Devon County Record Office). Devon Sites and Monuments Register Gover J.E.B. et al. The Place names of Devon, 1932, p 182.
Listing NGR: SX3742879908
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gover, J E B et al, The Place Names of Devon, (1932), 182
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing