This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DAWSON AND SONS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DAWSON AND SONS

List entry Number: 1104863

Location

DAWSON AND SONS, 99, EAST PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336389

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 EAST PARADE BD1 (west side)

No 99

SE 1633 SE 37/469 (Dawson and Sons)

II

2. A former woollen mill and warehouse on corner site with Upper Park Gate. The mill, of circa 1865, is built on to and incorporates the remains of East Brook House which retained its grounds known as Peckover Park until the latter part of the 1850's. The remaining facade is set back to north of mill. Circa 1800 with restrained neoclassical detailing. Two-storeys, basement and attic, finely dressed ashlar. A 3 bay front with crisply moulded cornice and parapet, originally with 3 blind balustraded panels, one only survives to left hand below later turret feature with hipped roof - later attic storey added to right. Tripartite windows, shallow reveals and slender dividers, entablatures sharply moulded, those on ground floor as Venetian windows with entablature carried up over arch and slender columns. Central former doorway round headed and recessed for one order. The ground floor is largely obscured by lean-to additions. One similar blocked window to north return. The mill is still in the early to mid C19 tradition. Four-storeys dressed sandstone "brick". The corner, of 3 windows, is bowed sharply and slightly inset. Sill bands and bracketed eaves cornice. Pilastered entablature doorway to centre of bowed corner. Twelve window plain range to Upper Park Gate.

East Brook House was built by Edmund Peckover a member of the Norfolk family. After briefly trading as a woolstapler he set up a banking firm with his nephew Charles Harris, later to become the Bradford Old Bank.

Listing NGR: SE1695533257

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 16955 33257

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 05:16:09.

End of official listing