GATEHOUSE AND RESTORED EARLY C20 WALL TO FRONT GARDEN WALL (ATTACHED)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104867
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE AND RESTORED EARLY C20 WALL TO FRONT GARDEN WALL (ATTACHED), RISEDEN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE AND RESTORED EARLY C20 WALL TO FRONT GARDEN WALL (ATTACHED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 21:47:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE AND RESTORED EARLY C20 WALL TO FRONT GARDEN WALL (ATTACHED), RISEDEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Goudhurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 70551 35953

Details

GOUDHURST RISEDEN LANE TQ 73 NW (east side) 5/257 Gatehouse and restored 9.6.52 early C20 wall to front garden (attached) GV II* House. C14, altered and extended C15 restored early C20. Timber framed and exposed close-studding with plaster infill, with red brick and tile hanging to return and rear elevations. Plain tiled roofs. Hall house with cross-wings. Two storeys with jettied gabled wings to left and to right, with moulded bres- summers and returned on dragon posts, with attached moulded shafts carrying hollow chamfered brackets. Central hall bays recessed behind overhanging eaves carried on bracket. Hipped main roof with stacks at end left, centre right and end right. Six and eight light mullioned windows to gable 1st floor, with blocked mullioned window and 3 light leaded mullioned window to centre left, with 3 multi-light leaded mullioned windows to ground floor. Six light 2 storey hall window to centre right with mullions and transoms, and depressed arched heads to ground floor. Plank and stud door to centre left with raking hood. C20 wing to rear left, recessed and carried over rear elevation. Interior: great hall reopened to ceiling early C20 (by then owner Mr Edward Grinling). Large central moulded and arched truss, braced to secondary parallel truss from main posts to tie beam. The main central posts carrying this arch have massive brackets, carrying the external eaves to front, with mortice holes to rear post, possibly indicating an outshed origin for the hall. C15 inserted tie beam and crown post over lower end of hall. Moulded heads for rear cross-passage doorway survive. C20 turned baluster gallery across rear wall of hall. Large inserted brick fireplace, with parlour door adjacent, the spandrels carved with images of a Green Man and a Fool. Cross-wings with moulded ceiling beams, and short unmoulded crown posts on hollow chamfered and cambered tie-beams, with Bellersden marble fireplaces with strapwork and damask-style decoration, one with 2 portrait medallions. The home originally of the Sabbe family, by C17 sold to cadet branch of Bothurst family (of nearby Finchcodes). For last 21 years of her life the home of Dame Edith Evans. A full account of the house is in Country Life, 9 January 1937 (Arthur Oswald). Projecting from the left of the house a red brick wall (probably C18), with dogtooth cornice, about 7 feet high, and incorporating an arched boarded gate, ramped down to about 5 feet, extending some 50 yards to the roadside, returned about the same distance along the roadside.

Listing NGR: TQ7055135953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
169607
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 9 January, (1937)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].