TOWN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104891
Date first listed:
02-May-1953
Statutory Address:
TOWN HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 15:00:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Bardfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 67465 30480

Details

TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD HIGH STREET (north-west side)

8/170 Town House 2.5.53

GV II

House, part of a larger house originally. C16, altered in C17 and C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4-bay main range facing SE, with one axial stack and C18 external stack at left end. C16 internal stack at right end, now at the partition between this house and Town House Cottages, formerly part of the same house (q.v.). C17 rear wing behind this stack (over- lapping Town House Cottages) at an acute angle to the main range, with C18 stack at end, and single-storey extension roofed with red clay Roman tiles beyond. C17 stair tower in rear angle. 2 storeys. 2 splayed bays with early C20 sashes of 8-16-8 lights. On first floor, 3 late C18 sashes of 16 lights. 6-panel door with 4 upper panels glazed, in moulded and pedimented doorcase, late C18. Hipped gablet at right end of roof. At the rear, one late C17 and one early C18 3-light window, each with one wrought iron casement. The interior has jowled posts, a chamfered axial beam with step stops, exposed plain joists of horizontal section, and underbuilt jetty. In the right wall of the rear extension there is a blocked early C17 window. On the first floor of the main range there is some C18 pine panelling. RCHM 24.

Listing NGR: TL6746530480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
115309
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04252/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].