This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1104915



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91984

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SS14SW The Old House 1938-0/2/8 II

House. Late C18 for Sir John Barlace Warren. Restored in late c20 by Landmark Trust. Granite rubble with dread granite quoin lintels and stringcourse. Slate roof with lead roll ridge and granite coped gable end and parapet. Gable end stacks with short rebuilt granite shafts. Exterior: 2 storeys and cellar. Symmetrical 1:2:1 window east front. The parapet with its granite string on granite corbels continues across centre 2 bays which are recessed slightly. Small square 6-pane sashes with granite lintels and cills, tall 12-pane sashes on ground floor to left and right. Central panelled double doors. The doors and all the windows are C20 replacements. Similar rear elevation but here the parapet at the centre is not corbelled out and the central doorway has a plank door.

Interior: entirely rebuilt in late C20 but has reused plain marble chimneypieces in front left hand ground floor room.

Note: There are drawings of 1775 by the architect William Newton (1735-90) for a villa on Lundy for Sir John Barlase Warren (Colvin). (Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600 - 1840; Lankmark Trust).

Listing NGR: SS1375644040

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SS 13756 44040


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 12:09:46.

End of official listing