This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLIFF PATH WALL TO BATTERY, EAST NORTH EAST OF BATTERY COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLIFF PATH WALL TO BATTERY, EAST NORTH EAST OF BATTERY COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1104916

Location

CLIFF PATH WALL TO BATTERY, EAST NORTH EAST OF BATTERY COTTAGES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91986

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUNDY

SS14SW BATTERY POINT 1938-0/2/13 Cliff Path Wall to Battery, East North-East of Battery Cottages

II

Path walls to fog signal battery. Circa 1861 for Trinity House. Granite rubble, dressed on corners with granite rubble coping. Low walls on the outward sides of path which zig-zag down cliff to the Fog Signal Battery (qv) and Battery Cottages (qv). Some of the granite sets survive with gutters to drain the surface water.

Note: The Old Lighthouse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to solve the problem a fog signal battery was built on the cliffs below. The installation included cottages for the gunners and a magazine and integral privies reached from the top of the cliff by this path with its walls. In 1878 Trinity House substituted guncotton for the guns and in 1881 it was even considered that the lower light of the Old Lighthouse should be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and whistles were also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse and Battery were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North and South Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses, their Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R.Christie; Lundy:A and M Langham).

Listing NGR: SS1285344927

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975)
Langham, A, Langham, M, Lundy, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SS 12853 44927

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 03:22:50.

End of official listing