THE CROWN AND SCEPTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104941
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1989
Statutory Address:
THE CROWN AND SCEPTRE, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CROWN AND SCEPTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:22:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CROWN AND SCEPTRE, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Holsworthy
National Grid Reference:
SS 34359 03842

Details

SS 3403 HOLSWORTHY CP FORE STREET (East side)

16/34 The Crown and Sceptre

GV II

Inn. c.1910-20 on site of earlier building, main entrance blocked and resited mid C20. Rough cast probably over brick, pilaster quoin strips and quoins to window openings with flat lintels, crenellated parapet conceals roof. Plan: one room with carriageway opening to right, building extended at rear. 3 storeys, 3 bays; first and second floors sash windows with only one vertical glazing bar to lower frame, central window originally the entrance, square-headed carriageway entrance with double wooden gates swept down to centre and latticework upper panels. Entrance to bar now in re-entrant angle via C20 Georgian-style door incorporating fanlight. Interior mid-late C20. Photographs in the bar show the public house on this site decorated for the coronation of Edward VII in 1901 when it was a 2 storey, 3 bay building with a steeply pitched roof, sash windows, and a central entrance said to be a through passage to the stables at rear. Included primarily for group value.

Listing NGR: SS3435903842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11249/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].