This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1104945

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, NORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holsworthy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91942

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS3403 HOLSWORTHY CP NORTH ROAD (East side)

16/38 Church of St Peter and St Paul

?.1.51

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Mid C15 tower, clock dated 1867, carillon added 1875, restored 1890 when one pinnacle replaced, chancel rebuilt 1880-2, nave, south aisle capitals raised and porch rebuilt 1883 when north aisle added. Architect Otho B. Peter of Launceston, roof carvings by John Northcott of Ashwater. Early English style. Tower local stone with granite butresses squared and coursed, church local stone squared and coursed, Hatherleigh stone dressings, 2 tone slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges to south aisle and porch. Plan: chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle with organ loft, west tower, 3-stage crenellated tower with 4 crocketed pinnacles, setback buttresses terminating in crockets, 3-light louvred bell-openings, lancet on south front below clock face, 4-light west window with cill and lower section cut off, rere arch moulded, 4-centred arch west door with hoodmould and labels. Buttressed south aisle windows all 3-light, lit gable ends, 3 on south front with gabled porch end bay left, pointed arch opening with rosettes to reveals, decorative ogee surround with blind niches, wrought iron double gate, ribbed barrel vaulted roof, Norman style round headed opening with zig-zag decoration incorporating Norman colonnette on west side from earlier church, C19 door, east wall has blocked arched recess for holy water stoup, west wall has Norman capital of colonnette with carved panel above depicting the Agnus Dei - thought to be the centre of a typanum; buttressed chancel with lancet on south side, 5- light east window, two 2-light windows on north front, 3-light windows to north aisle, lit gable ends, 3 on north front. Interior rendered. C19 painted and ceiled wagon roof to with angels on corbels, archbraced roofs to nave and aisles. Perpendicular tower arch with decorative capitals, opening glazed in C20. Chamfered depressed arch-head to tower stair. C19 chancel arch carried on marble colonnettes with foliage capitals, corbelled out. C19 arcades with octagonal piers and double chamfered pointed arches. C19 fittings, encaustic tiles in chancel by Maw & C0., font purchased 1888. Pulpit in memory of John Aspinall died 1904. Reredos 1926. Organ said to be by by Renatus Harris and to have come from Chelsea Old Church, removed to Bideford 1723 and bought to Holsworthy in 1865 when it was restored and enlarged with decorative panels; in 1926 it was overhauled and reduced in size. Fine tomb slab to Theophilus Dennis, died 1696, with an unusual Celtic knot design. Convex slate roundel to Humphrey Saunders, rector, died 1670 in square moulded surround with putti. Tablet to Richard Kingdom died 1816, signed J.Kendall, Exeter. Stained glass: west window of north aisle by Bell 1876, the East window and north chancel window by Lavers and Westlake c1882. The Norman church was rebuilt in the C13 reflecting Holsworthy's affluence as a market centre; the medieval church was restored from a ruinous condition in 1808 when round headed wooden sash windows were inserted. Further restorations of 1858 and 1865 were swept away in the 1880s. (The Western Morning News 20.12.1883; Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Devon, forthcoming; photographs in NMR.)

Listing NGR: SS3437703907

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)
'Western Morning News' in 20 December, (1883)

National Grid Reference: SS 34377 03907

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 09:34:21.

End of official listing