Church of St Helen

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104955
Date first listed:
20-Jul-1990
Statutory Address:
Church of St Helen, Lundy

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Helen
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 13:04:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Helen, Lundy

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 13784 43951

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2019

SS14SW 1938-0/2/1 LUNDY Church of St Helen

(Formerly listed as Church of St Helena)

20/07/90

GV II Parish church. 1896 by J. Norton for H.G. Heaven, the owner of Lundy Island. Granite ashlar. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and stone coped gable ends.

Plan: nave with porch under tower of west end of north side of nave, chancel with transept vestry on north side. Northwest-southeast orientation. Victorian Gothic Early English.

Exterior: nave has two-light plate tracery windows on north and south sides and two lancet west window with rose window above, its tracery blocked off. Transept vestry has two-light window in gable and with plate tracery and lean-to porch in north east angle with shouldered head doorway. Large three-stage unbuttressed north west tower with battlements, square stair turret with battlements in angle with nave, gargoyles at corners and large two-light lancet bell-openings with trefoil heads and slate louvres. Clock face at first stage above niche containing figure of St Helena which is above the deeply chamfered two-centred arch doorway to the porch, with wooden gates; the inner doorway has arch of four arches.

Interior: polychrome brick walls, red brick with black and white bands and diapering. Moulded stone chancel arch with dogtooth decoration and colonnettes on corbels supporting the capitals. Boarded roof, the principals on stone corbles. Furnishings by Hermes of Exeter. Reredos with three cusped arches on Purbeck marble colonnettes and with alabaster carving, the centre depicts the Last Supper. Piscina and sedilia. Altar rail with wrought iron standards. Low stone screen, carved stone pulpit and square font. The benches are complete including choir stalls. Carved wooden eagle lectern. Organ on south side of chancel.

Circa late C19 stained glass east window, the tracery missing and stained glass in rose window at west end, one was designed and donated by Rev. H. Fleming St. John. Ornate wrought-iron lamp brackets on north and south walls of nave. Five bells from tower, now in porch, dated 1897.

Listing NGR: SS1378443951

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91976
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Langham, A, Langham, M, Lundy, (1970), 110-111
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 542-543

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13599/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].